Sep 15, 2019
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Civil Engineering, B.S.
Program Education Outcomes
Consistent with the Department objectives, students will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- An ability to communicate effectively;
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
This bachelor’s degree program requires a minimum of 132 credits. As part of the overall 132 credit minimum, students who seek a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering degree must satisfy the following requirements or their equivalents:
Five Courses in Mathematics
Five Courses in the Basic Sciences
One Course in Engineering Communications
Three Courses in Engineering Science
Seven Courses in the Civil Engineering Core
A minimum of 16 credit hours of depth electives as shown below. At least one course must be selected from each of the four lists shown.
A minimum of four credit hours in a technical area that supports and/or expands the student’s interest in engineering. The choice of course must be approved by the student’s advisor:
Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
Students must register for and take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination, administered by the National Council of Engineering Examiners, in order to graduate.
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
(See Notes: 1)
MAJOR GPA. Please consult the department to determine what courses are included in the calculation of the GPA for this major.
MINOR. No minor is offered in civil engineering.
Recommended course sequence:
- CEN 5___ - CE Depth Elective
- CEN 5___ - CE Depth Elective
- Technical Elective
Technical Elective must be approved by student’s advisor.
- Soc. Sci. (SS) Social Science Core course
- Limited course substitutions for those listed above are permitted for students who have sound educational plans that, in the judgment of the department, justify the substitutions.
- Students must register for and take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination.
- Students must also fulfill the college diversity requirement. There are many courses which simultaneously satisfy one of the history, social science and arts & literature distribution requirements and the diversity requirement.
- A Foreign Language (FL) core course may be substituted for either the Arts & Literature (AL) core course or the Historical Studies (H) core course (but not both).