Program Educational Objectives
Exceptional civil engineers are highly competent problem solvers, who thirst for knowledge, communicate effectively, and seek to make the world a better place. We believe that alumni of our program:
- Successfully address and resolve problems in a professional position and/or through pursuit of a professional degree;
- Continue to learn and develop professionally;
- Communicate effectively, and eventually pursue a leadership role in their chosen field; and
- Dedicate their professional knowledge and skills to meet the needs of their community and society in general.
As a result, our alumni are exceptional professionals, problem solvers, and civil engineers.
Consistent with the program’s objectives, students will have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.