2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Child, Family, and Community Studies, B.S.
The School of Education & Social Policy offers a Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program in Child, Family, and Community Studies. The program is a 24-month, full-time or part time program with the innovative cohort design that offers the advantage to learn and collaborate together, build a sense of community, create an investment in their own education, and have guaranteed courses leading to a timely completion of the program. Students enter the program with an associate’s degree, or its equivalent Part-time students, who require maximum flexibility in their schedule, have the option to take one or two classes and extending their completion date.
The Child, Family, and Community Studies Program attracts students interested in becoming teacher licensure candidates in early childhood, elementary, and moderate disabilities. Specific courses and program requirements are designed to meet licensure requirements of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Beyond teacher licensure, the program attracts students pursuing avenues of leadership in early childhood and family and community engagement. These students are interested in careers that promote the development of parent and community partnerships, family and school partnerships, early childhood administration, child and family development, and other related fields. There are a variety of directions the pathways can take the students in their future careers.
Teacher Education (initial license)
- Courses may change with program review or change in standards by the MA Elementary and Secondary Education
- Pre-requisite: CHILD GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT OR LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT. (Child Growth required for ECE)
- Other Liberal Arts Core Requirements met by transfer or additional coursework is required (Writing, History, Philosophy, 2 Social Sciences, 2 STEM (one covered in program)
- Other Subject Matter Knowledge (SMK) Requirement for Initial License by the MA Elementary and Secondary Education met by transfer or additional coursework is required. (American Literature, U.S. History, World Civilization, 2 STEM [covered in program], Math [covered in program])
Early Childhood Education (PreK-2)
Elementary Education (1-6)
Moderate Disabilities (PreK-8)
- Courses may change with program review
- PRE-REQUISITION: CHILD GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT OR LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT
- Other Liberal Arts Core Requirements met by transfer or additional coursework required (Writing, History, Philosophy, 2 Social Sciences, 2 STEM (one covered in program)
- MTE 1410, WLC 1000, and RTS 1100 are not requried if the course transfer has met these liberal core requirements.
Early Childhood Leadership & Administration
Family & Community Engagement